Catonephele Orites, also known as the Orange Shoemaker

The Orange Shoemaker butterfly is one that I learned about first through the Butterfly House, which is a butterfly conservatory where they allow the butterflies to emerge from their cocoons. I captured the picture above on one of my trips to the Midwest USA and thought that it was a very interesting butterfly indeed.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I just love butterflies and that there is no hiding it. So seeing this new one had my fingers grabbing for the camera! One of the things I found out about this butterfly, is that the male and female are very different from each other. They look like a completely different butterfly and usually there is more similarity. The one pictured above with the orange markings, is the male Orange Shoemaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment